I haven’t done a beauty tag in a while so I figured it was time! I love reading them too so if you’ve done any please link them in the comments below!
1. Do you remember your first makeup item?
I’ve been in love with makeup since I was a young teenager… and growing up in a pre-YouTube world without any real idea of how to apply makeup… it was most likely black eyeliner, or CoverGirl foundation that was far too light for my skintone.
2. Describe your perfect mascara. Have you found one that fits your specifications?
I want my mascara to hold curl, as well as provide length and volume without clumping. My HG right now is Urban Decay’s Perversion mascara. I love the brush, and the length and volume it gives my lashes. It isn’t too wet but it doesn’t dry so fast that you can’t apply a second coat, and I find it doesn’t clump up my lashes at all which saves the step of having to separate them with a lash comb.
3. What kind of coverage do you prefer from foundation?
I like a full coverage foundation. It needs to be buildable for areas where I need a bit more coverage without looking cakey.
4. Favorite high end brand?
Urban Decay was the first higher end brand that I ever purchased (Naked1 and 2) and I’ve been in love ever since. Hourglass is also one of my favourites – their blushes and highlighting palettes are absolutely stunning.
5. What cosmetic brands have you always wanted to try but still haven’t?
Sooooo many that I haven’t tried and would love to get my hands on, so I’ll list a few that are at the top of my list:
Dior – their lipsticks and glosses are gorgeous but I always choke at the price tag.
Kevyn Aucoin – so many beautiful products, and I have been meaning to pick up his books (Making Faces and Face Forward)
Burberry – the packaging is absolutely stunning and I love the designs on the lipsticks and compacts. I’d probably just stare at them and never use them for fear of ruining them.
6. Favorite drugstore brand?
Maybelline and NYX for sure – I always head straight for their displays whenever I see them.
7. Do you wear fake eyelashes?
I definitely *try* to…. Sometimes it works out, most times it doesn’t.
8. Is there any kind of makeup you can’t leave the house without?
I like to have at least a bit of mascara, brow gel, and lipgloss on if I’m leaving the house – though there are plenty of times when I end up going out without any of it!
9. What is your most cherished beauty product?
My UD Naked palettes – they were my first major beauty purchase and they’ve never let me down!
10. How often do you shop for makeup? Do you like to pick up an item here and there or get lots of goodies at once?
Far too often. I have a hard time just picking up 1 item… it usually ends up being a handful or more. I need to get back on my no-buy!
11. Do you have a “beauty budget” or you spend freely?
I do have a budget, but I tend to break it a lot – it’s something I want to work on this year because I have a lot of products that don’t get much use because I’m always buying the latest and greatest.
12. Do you utilize coupons, rewards cards and sales when you shop for cosmetics?
I do like to utilize sales and reward cards – I’m not great with coupons.
13. What type of product do you buy the most of?
Eyeshadows and lipsticks – I just can’t say no to a pretty new palette or a shiny new lippie!
14. Is there a brand that you absolutely can’t stand?
I haven’t really come across any.
15. Do you avoid certain ingredients in cosmetics like parabens or sulfates?
I avoid sulfates in toothpaste because it gives both me and my husband canker sores. Otherwise not so much.
16. Do you have a favorite place to shop for makeup?
Sephora of course – I’m a huge fan of online shopping so I love any place that I can easily order online but I like to have the option to go in and swatch products before purchasing. I love London Drugs and Shoppers and wish we had an Ulta!
17. Do you like trying new skincare products or do you keep a certain routine?
I love testing out new products – for a long time I thought I had a routine that was working great for me and then I added a new product and my skin was completely changed for the better, so I’m always looking for that next big skin changing serum, lotion, cleanser or scrub!
18. Favorite bath and body brand?
The Body Shop and LUSH for sure!
19. If you could only buy from one brand, which brand would you choose?
Even though I said Urban Decay is my favourite high end brand, if I could only buy from one (and had the money to afford it) it would be MAC. They have everything!
20. What brand do you think has the best packaging?
There are so many – Too Faced and Benefit have super cute packaging, Kat Von D’s looks badass, and I love anything packaged in frosted glass.
21. Which celebrity always has great makeup?
Kim Kardashian – I know she gets a lot of hate but I think she’s freaking gorgeous and her makeup artist is amazing.
22. Do you belong to any online makeup communities?
The best makeup community in the world – Canadian Beauty Bloggers ♥
23. 5 Favorite Beauty Gurus
In no particular order: Wayne Goss, Lisa Eldridge, Nikki (NikkiTutorials), Jaclyn Hill, and Kandee Johnson.
24. Do you like multifunctional products like lip and cheek stains?
Not really – There are times when I’ll use an eye safe product that is meant for my cheeks on my eyes but that’s about it.
25. Are you clumsy in putting makeup?
Extremely!! One of the reasons I am hesitant to do videos is because I have to do so much cleanup. I honestly think it takes me more time to fix my makeup than it does to apply it.
26. Do you use makeup base/primer for the eyes?
I switch between UD Primer Potion and Maybelline’s new Eye Primer
27. How many hair products do you use on a typical day?
Other than shampoo and conditioner… zero – by the time I finish doing my makeup my hair gets brushed quickly and left down or put up in a bun. I need to spend more time on it!
28. What do you apply first, concealer or foundation?
Foundation and then concealer
29. Do you ever consider taking makeup classes?
I would love to one day!
30. What do you love about makeup?
I love the ritual of putting it on in the morning, it’s my me-time… I put on a podcast, have my coffee, and paint my face. I also love how it makes me feel about myself – I feel more confident when I am rocking a bold lip or fabulous winged eyeliner.